The Victorian Association of Family History Organisations (VAFHO) is an umbrella organisation of family history and genealogical societies together with State Government instrumentalities. It is a Not for Profit organisation.
The committee has provision for ten members – four city-based groups, which must include the Family History Connections (formerly AIGS), FamilySearch, the Genealogical Society of Victoria and at least one state government instrumentality plus six additional groups.
The Committee meets March, June, September and December. The Annual general meeting is held around September as advised each year.
Full membership is available only to organisations in Victoria. However, Associate membership is available to individuals & groups outside the state of Victoria.
Aims & Purpose
- To promote and encourage the study of genealogy, heraldry, family history and allied subjects throughout Victoria.
- To promote and arrange easier public access to public records and record repositories throughout Victoria.
- To promote and encourage the preservation of records for family history research.
- To represent views of family history organisations to Victorian local and and State government.
- To organise and co-ordinate the conduct of regular family history events in Victoria.
- To keep groups informed with topical information.
- To act on feedback to give a collective voice on matters of importance.
- To support National Family History Month.